Outside the draft and trading, free agency is the way to acquire players in BaseHit.
Free Agent Signing Period
- Free Agents will not sign during the first 8 games of the preseason to ensure that teams have a fair chance to bid on players. After that, free agents can sign until the last day of the regular season.
- Free Agents wait a minimum amount of time before signing, to give other owners a chance to bid.
- The wait time depends on the simulation rate of the league.
- 8/day leagues: Between 4-8 sim days after their oldest offer.
- 4/day leagues: Between 2-4 sim days after their oldest offer.
- 2/day leagues: Between 1-2 sim days after their oldest offer.
- When multiple teams submit contract offers to a Free Agent, the player will sign with the team that offers the highest salary.
- In the event of a tie, they will randomly select which team to sign with.
- You can only have pending free agent bids that add up to the amount of salary cap space available on your team - any bids that would exceed the salary cap will not be saved.
Offering More than Asking Salary
- Players have the option to offer more than the asking salary of a Free Agent.
- If a player signs at a salary higher than their asking amount, the additional amount over the base salary is considered a perpetual signing bonus, and will be renewed each year unless the player returns to free agency.
Free Agent Market Forces
- There are various factors that can influence the role and impact of free agency.
- How high the Salary Cap is set
- Hard Cap
- Binding Contracts
- Pre-Season Free Agents.
- To find more information about these, follow this link - Team Finances
Free Agent Roster Placement
- When a Free Agent is signed, they will join AAA or Low Minors.
- If the player has no Active Roster experience and there is space available in the Low Minors (max. 20 players), they will be assigned there.
- If the player has game experience or there is insufficient room in the Low Minors, they will be assigned to AAA.
Sign and Drop
- Sign and Drop allows you to select up to three players to be dropped from your roster if the Free Agent you have a bid on signs with your team.
- This is useful for teams currently over the salary cap or for those who don't want to lose the production of a current player until the replacement has been secured.
- The salary of dropped player(s) must be greater than the offer made to the Free Agent, or the final salary of the Free Agent must keep the team below the league salary cap.
- The team must keep at least 14 hitters and 11 pitchers on Active or AAA rosters, including the signed player.
- The dropped player(s) may not be involved in other pending transactions.
- A player cannot be included in more than one Sign and Drop transaction at a time.
- Additionally, players included in Sign and Drop transactions cannot be dropped from the roster or included in any trade offers.
Related LinksFront Office